Tuesday 25 March 2008

Do you give your installers a clothing allowance?

This NY Times slideshow profiles the unsung heroes of the art gallery: the installers. In New York, installers wear jumpsuits by the likes of Maison Martin Margiela and Calvin Klein. What are your installers wearing?*

The slideshow is part of the NY Times' extended arts coverage this week, including an interview with fashion designer Miuccia Prada, currently in the process of establishing an art museum to house the Prada collection, and caterers to the art world, Margot Henderson and Melanie Arnold (local alert: Henderson was born in New Zealand).

My personal favourite though is the Ladies Who Launch slideshow - featuring NY patronesses of the arts. Why didn't my high school Careers Advisor tell me about this?

*I'm utterly serious about art installers being unsung heroes. Not to mention having some of the sharpest eyes in the business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the job title "art handler" - it sounds a bit lilke "lion tamer" :-). However I think I could happily be a "Lady who Launches" (given the budget and the clothing :-) I am more likely to be wearing a baby than Prada