Saturday 4 July 2009

sharp

After I publish this post, I'm going home to hunker down on the couch and finish Professor James Flynn's What is intelligence?



Back in my uncouth youth, I took Flynn's first year Political Philosophy paper at Otago. In a classic example of how university is wasted on the young, all I remember is him (justifiably) scaring the bejesus out of me when I fell asleep in class, and how long it took me to figure out what this "morays" thing he kept talking about was. It wasn't until quite recently that I've appreciated that he's might be one of New Zealand's most overwhelmingly unknown public intellectuals.

Now, I make a concious effort to try to broaden my outlook. When I look back at the time I spent doing degrees and working in galleries, I'm a little shocked by how narrow my view on the world was.

So, in the spirit of sharing, here's some of the stuff and the people that keep me wide-eyed and entertained:

Business consultant Lance Wiggs: Idealog interview | Blog

Open Library (and former Flickr) staffer George Oates: Guardian interview | Blog

New Yorker political editor Hendrik Hertzberg: Blog | Weekly podcast

Web guru Nat Torkington: Blog | 4 short links

Composer Nico Muhly: Blog

Designers Jack Schulze, Matt Webb, Matt Jones: Pulse Laser blog

No comments: