Friday 3 February 2012

Tie-in

I think this is the first time I've ever written about a movie tie-in, but this is very clever.




The Hunger Games opens in March this year. The Capital Couture tumblr is a beautifully designed teasey sneak-peak at the outrageous fashion of the decadent Capitol (really - if you haven't read the books, I'm not going to bother to summarise them here for you - Wikipedia is your friend).


The stylistic escapades didn't really grasp me when I read the books - they felt like a blatant grab at the teenage girl market (not that there's anything wrong with that). But as soon as I saw this tumblr, I understood in one of those blinding flashes of d'oh insight just how important style and presentation are going to be in the movie trilogy.

The tumblr is intriguing in that it's taken a sidenote in the bigger story and very successfully spun it off. It's almost entirely self-contained, steering away from the plot to focus on the delicious surface. And by leaking shots of a character in McQueen booties and speculating on Mugler bodysuits, the site latches on to a potentially new audience of fashion obsessed tumblrers and Pinteresters. It's very very sharp, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

No comments: