Saturday 9 April 2016

Reading list for 9 April 2016

This week, a special focus on profiles:

Political commentator Morgan Godfery in Etangata "The way we make law is through politics. If we accept that, then the natural starting point for Māori struggles is actually to reclaim some political control as opposed to meeting Pākehā on their favoured battlefield, which is the law and the courts."

Writer Maggie Nelson in the Guardian "I like to think that what literature can do that op-ed pieces and other communications don’t do is describe felt experience,” she tells me, “the flickering, bewildered places that people actually inhabit."

Fashion designer Guo Pei in the New Yorker "I’m not a feminist," she said emphatically. "I think women should be like water: it looks soft and tender, but it’s very powerful."

Adrienne Rich in The New Republic (On teaching at Columbia) "[The students] are extraordinarily unhypocritical, candid, impatient of anything that seems abstract or mere ritual. I feel they live in a different time-scale from us. I like them better than most of their elders, I suppose, but I have never felt so concretely that I’m thirty-eight, middle-aged, and drenched in assumptions which they haven’t even heard of."

Zaha Hadid in the L.A. Times Arts critic Carolina A. Miranda argues that Hadid's gender and ethnicity both warrant discussion in the many memorials currently being published.

No comments: